Proctor Chiropractic in Tacoma, WA Provide Headache and Migraine Relief
Headaches and migraines are some of the most frequent reasons people reach for painkillers. Unfortunately, while these painkillers can usually provide some level of temporary relief, they have two major drawbacks: a host of side effects and the inability to resolve the underlying cause of the headaches. At Proctor Chiropractic, our chiropractors in Tacoma, WA can help you overcome headaches and migraines naturally by diagnosing and treating the reasons why the headaches are happening. Through chiropractic care, massage therapy and lifestyle adaptations, you can find lasting relief!
Chiropractic Care is Successful for Headaches & Migraines
There are several underlying reasons why you might be struggling with headaches and/or migraines, and chiropractic care can help alleviate the majority of these, including:
- Injury—One of the most common, sometimes hidden reasons for recurring headaches is an undiagnosed and untreated injury like whiplash. When the vertebrae are jostled, either in a sports injury, work injury, car accident injury or personal injury like this, nerves affecting sensation and blood flow in the head can be adversely affected. These injuries may also strain soft tissues in the neck, causing an increase in tension headaches.
- Incorrect posture habits—Slouching at your desk or on the couch, or even sleeping on the wrong pillow can also cause vertebrae to shift out of alignment and pinch nerves that can affect headaches.
- Lifestyle triggers—We recommend migraine sufferers keep a diary of what they were doing or eating before their migraines hit. Some common triggers include certain foods and beverages, stress, environmental conditions (like sounds, smells and lights), irregular sleep habits, dehydration and others.
How our Tacoma, WA Chiropractors Treat Headaches
After diagnosing and discovering your underlying headache or migraine triggers, our chiropractors will design an individual treatment plan to reduce or remove those issues. This should significantly reduce the frequency and severity of your headaches—for many of our patients, we have been able to eliminate them entirely. Headache and migraine treatment protocols include:
- Chiropractic care—When your headaches are being triggered by nerves pinched due to spinal subluxations, our chiropractors can gently and precisely deliver adjustments to correct your posture, and release the pinched nerves. This has proven to provide successful and long-term headache and migraine relief for many of our patients.
- Massage therapy—Therapeutic massage provides an excellent complement to chiropractic care for headaches by helping the soft tissues adjust to improved posture. It also relieves stress and improves overall circulation and pulses endorphins through the body for natural pain relief.
- Physiotherapy and lifestyle adjustments—To help your spine maintain correct posture, we often coach you in specific strengthening exercises and stretches. We also work to help find any other lifestyle-related headache and migraine triggers (such as foods, drinks, sleep habits, stress, etc.) so we can help you avoid or reduce them so you can avoid headaches as much as possible.
If you live in Tacoma, WA and struggle with headaches or migraines, contact Proctor Chiropractic at 253-756-7500 to schedule an appointment for relief!